Thursday, June 26, 2008

Vanessa Weedon-Jones (GBR 621)


Name: Vanessa Weedon-Jones
Nickname: Nessa
Sail No: GBR 621
Country: GB
Sailing Club: Oxford SC
Weight: 84kg
Height: 180cm
Age: 46

Number of years sailing (and on what)? Just over 20 years. Started with toppers, then laser 2, fireball, lots of time in a 470 - all crewing. Lots of miscellaneous sailing and I instruct too. Now I have a classic phantom as well as the contender. I've just bought a classic I14 as a restoration project - it came fourth in the POW in 1965 and is a thing of beauty!

Number of years sailing the contender? Not nearly enough - last year was my first time doing the Opens circuit.

Why did you get on the Contender? I wanted to helm, but I also wanted to trapeze. The contender has long been my idea of the perfect boat and I'm lucky enough to be almost the right size.

Number of Worlds? 0 in a contender. I did a 470 worlds but dislocated my shoulder. D'oh!
Favourite Worlds Moment? Yet to come!

Favourite Food? Pizza, veggie stuff

How do you keep in shape? sail, bike, weights - sometimes!

Stupidest thing you've done on the boat? Too many to mention - I'm pretty good at the spectacular wipe out.

Goals for the 2008 Worlds? Finish all the races, learn lots about the boat, have a good time!

What you'd like to do/see at the 2008 Worlds? Get lots of good sailing in, drink beer, eat good food, enjoy my first trip to Canada.

No comments: