Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mike Smits (CAN 2397)

Name: Mike Smits
Nickname: Mikey
Sail No: CAN 2397
Boat name: Ubersonic
Country: Canada
Sailing Club: Outer Harbour Centerboard Club
Weight: 162 lbs
Height: 5' 11"
Age: 52

Number of years sailing (and on what)? 40 years- Gasp! Started crewing on a Shark as a young teenager and I bought my first boat, a used Laser, the second year they were in production. Progressed to an ancient Soling that I cruised on the Ottawa River from Montreal. I then moved to Toronto and got involved with the Albacore fleet for a few years and noticed Contenders sailing in the harbour while hiking my guts out in an Albacore. That was it, I bought my first boat shortly after the Contender Worlds were held in Toronto in the early 80's and I have been at it ever since. I also owned a C&C 25 lead dragger for a few years before I saw the error of my ways. I also have been sailing an International 14 for about 15 years which simply means I sail two boats - neither one particularly well.

Number of years sailing the contender? 25 years.

Why did you get on the Contender? When I first saw the boat it was the only single handed trapeze boat and I was hooked.

Number of Worlds? 3 Santa Cruz, California (yeah I'm that old), Kingston, Ontario and Rowayton, Connecticut.

Favourite Worlds Moment? Kingston - Right at the start of the 5th race the gun went off and I had a great start with Andreas Bonezzi stuck behind my transom. Worst moment - 45 seconds later when Andreas bore off and sailed right through my lee.

Favourite Food? Donuts - hey I'm Canadian.

How do you keep in shape? Huh?

Goals for the 2008 Worlds? Top North American and top half of the fleet.

What you'd like to do/see at the 2008 Worlds? A tuning clinic from some fast Europeans for all us slow Canadians.

No comments: